Thursday, June 7, 2012

Roofing


The coop roof is shingled. We got lucky on the weather. There was little wind, which made putting the tar paper down easier. We started by nailing metal strips along all the edges. I held the roll of tar paper while Terry lined it up. My stapling skills were found to be lacking, so I lost that job after having to hammer some of my staples flat.
Stapling tar paper shortly before I was fired as a stapler

It warmed up quickly today and was especially hot on the roof after the tar paper was installed. It was uncomfortable, but the tar strips on the back of the shingles really stuck them down. We had to be careful climbing around on the roof, which I didn’t know until I tried it and was reprimanded. I helped nail the first several rows, but after that Terry took over, and I just delivered shingles and held Terry's ladder. I got pretty good at cutting them. Each row took 3 and a third shingle. We had almost no waste. Terry did not even claim to have planned it that way. As we worked, I remembered when we shingled the ag shed. It’s slow going. The shingles are big, making one think that it will be done in an instant. In reality, however, half of the shingle gets covered up in every row.
Every row we had to lean in a little farther

Terry did the very top rows from above

With the rows of shingles done, I set to work cutting shingles for the ridge. Again it worked out perfectly to cut the shingle in thirds crosswise and in half the long way. It was a good day’s work. I don’t think my clothes will ever be the same.
Preparing to deliver the ridge shingles after cutting them with an Exacto knife

Terry finishes up the ridge

No comments:

Post a Comment