Thursday, June 21, 2012

Drought, cont.


How dry is it? It is so dry there are stripes above the septic field. Once again, a very promising looking front out in Iowa dissipated before it got to us. We had two drops of rain this morning. Not enough.
Dry, dry, dry. So dry there are stripes of dead grass above the septic field

Tuesday morning, I realized that the south garden was in the shade of two of the big oak trees until about 8:00 a.m. Consequently, I got up at 5:00 Wednesday morning and went directly to the gardening before even having a cup of tea. Desperate times require desperate measures. Hilda and I got the south garden all weeded before the sun came around to bake us. Good news: the wind wasn’t as strong. Bad news: the gnats and flies were terrible.

Hilda had things to do in town, but I kept at the weeds until 11:30. I had a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I weeded the peppers, potatoes, and herbs. Finally, I did the flower bed in front of the house. The Napa cabbage needed to be thinned, so I cut out several plants to have for lunch. I noticed insect damage on one of them as well as fresh frass (the correct ecological term for insect poop, and no, I am not making that up). I sorted through the leaves and found a large, brown caterpillar. Last year, I would have been repulsed. This year, I was excited. What a lovely chicken treat!

None of the girls were in the cage, although Nigella was sitting backwards in the door so the wind (which had picked up considerably since early morning) ruffled her feathers (blowing up her skirts, so to speak—just like Marilyn Monroe). Would the caterpillar crawl away before anyone saw it?  Should I try to get someone’s attention before putting it in the cage? My worries were unfounded. I flicked it in, and Julia was on it instantly. Ellie was right behind and stole it as soon as Julia dropped it. In a matter of seconds, everyone was in the cage. Julia gobbled it down in the corner while the others milled around wondering where the caterpillar had gone and/or what the excitement was all about.

I have had to reexamine the conventional wisdom that chickens are stupid. If I had a student who was as observant and exquisitely alert to changes in his/her surroundings as my chickens are, I would consider that student to be exceptionally bright.

The Araucana are getting their cheek feathers. I have to admit, while the idea of having the pastel blue and green eggs that Araucana lay always appealed to me, I didn’t like the look of the breed in the pictures I saw. Those cheek feathers were peculiar. But it’s different when they are your chickens. Nigella’s cheek feathers are the most developed at this point, and I have to say I think she’s beautiful.
Nigella looking resplendant with her cheek feathers. Isn't she adorable? She looks like Santa Claus.

Julia’s grey head is also striking. The feathers are light grey with a dark grey border. She looks very distinguished.
Julia's grey head

The Light Brahmas are getting black collars and tails.
Jennifer shows off her black collar and feathery feet

I just love the first part of summer when I can eat from the garden but am not yet overwhelmed by the harvest. Along with the Napa cabbage, I pulled a head of fresh garlic and two green onions. I stir fried Vidalia onion wedges with celery and the new garlic until cooked but still crunchy. I added soy sauce and the Napa cabbage and steamed briefly until the huge mound of cabbage was reduced to almost nothing. Amazing how that happens. I put my stir fry over rice and garnished with the green onion.

After lunch I showered and worked inside until 4:00, when I went out to pick peas for supper. The wind was hot and fierce. I worked as quickly as I could, but still I was dripping with sweat and covered with wind-blown grit by the time I got done. The dust in my eyes was particularly annoying. Having fresh peas, however, was totally worth it.

It was 100° in the coop, and the girls were panting. I gave them fresh water and went so far as to put some ice cubes in it. Nothing else I could do. Everyone made it through the night, and even though it didn’t rain, it is much cooler today. Praise be.


No comments:

Post a Comment