Friday, December 12, 2014

Two off the bucket list

I had a window of opportunity between meetings and final grading on Tuesday this week to take the annual Christmas trip downtown with Terry.  As far as I can remember this is the first time we’ve managed to get there before the K-12 schools let out for the holiday.
Looking down on the mostly deserted main floor at Macy

Year after year, my bucket-list goal of eating in the Walnut Room of the store formerly known as Marshall Field (now Macy) was thwarted by hours-long waits for a table. Imagine my surprise when, before we even had time to discuss it, Terry walked right up to the hostess and said, “Do you have room for two?”
“Of course,” she replied, and led us to a table very near the base of the tree. Also near a larger table well-populated by small children, but you can’t have everything.  The Walnut Room was nearly empty. I had done a little research ahead of time and knew that it opened at 9:00 between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Even so, they only serve lunch. So we had lunch, even though it was only 10:15. We’d been on the train early and were already hungry. Despite the early hour, the waiter pushed the drink specials. After being offered a variety of Goose Island (a local brewery) ales, Terry was finally able to determine that he could get a Budweiser. I had decaf.  Terry ordered chicken pot pie; I had the French dip. Our food was delivered almost immediately. The French dip had fried onions on the sandwich (I assumed for maximum calories) was served with a slightly thickened dipping sauce rather than the usual au jus.  Trying to be good and not eat too much, I had asked to have fruit instead of fries. When the food came, the waiter apologized that I had gotten the fries as well as the fruit. I said I would do my best to bear up. The fruit cup was mostly honeydew, which is in my opinion a lesser melon that never tastes like anything. The three raspberries on top were very good. I didn’t even eat very many fries. Good for me.
Terry's chicken pot pie and salad, my French dip, fries, and fruit cup

Meanwhile, three young women wearing tiaras and bearing wands came around to the tables to grant us wishes and sprinkle us with fairy dust. We declined the fairy dust, but I got a picture of Terry with one of the magic princesses. Following the wishes, the girls let out a “WHOOO!” which added an interesting punctuation to our meal. Frankly, I was glad to have a good job that was not being a magic princess in the Walnut Room.
Terry with a magic princess
The tree in the Walnut Room

We were in and out of the Walnut Room in about 30 minutes. They have the table turnover down to a fine art. Good thing, too, because when we left, the line was down the hall. We visited the restrooms before leaving the area. Terry suggested it because he thought they would be original vintage facilities. It turned out the restrooms were nothing special. They were in the back of a huge room full of tables that I did not know was in the Walnut Room as the area is not visible from the 8th floor viewing area. I always thought the long lines were because there weren’t many tables. Not so.
We walked in a cold drizzle to Millenium park and took a selfie by the Bean. 
Selfie by the Bean--note rain running down the side of the Bean

Tracy, one of the local weatherpersons, so lied to us about the weather on Monday. She said it would be sunny and pleasant. HA! When we turned to go north on Michigan Ave., the north wind took our breath away. I felt bad for the homeless people huddled next to the buildings. Wrapped in blankets, most of them hid their faces behind a scrap of cardboard with their sad story. “I HAVE 4 CHILDREN. I LOST MY JOB. MY HUSBAND IS DEAD. PLEASE HELP.” How? I wondered. What can I possibly do to help? Furthermore, why is this woman sitting here in the rain and not looking for another job?
We stopped at the Tribune building to admire the historical artifacts embedded in the walls. I always have a vision of the Tribune reporters traveling the world with rock hammers, chipping out bits of famous landmarks.
Fragments of an ancient Chinese Temple and the Dublin Post Office

We got to the Hancock building about noon. The clouds had lifted enough to make us think it was worthwhile to go up to the Signature Lounge for our customary drink. Another first was watching it snow from the 96th floor. The second part of the video is clouds moving by.

We walked back on the other side of Michigan Ave. One of the newer stores, Allsaints Spitalfields, a clothing store, is decorated with hundreds and hundreds of antique sewing machines. We went through the first doors to take a closer look at a huge and complicated machine in the entryway. I did some research after the fact and came up with a tentative identification as a cashmere loom. I’d hate to be the one to have to string it.
Hundreds of sewing machines above the door at Allsaints Spitalfields
The top of the loom in front of more sewing machines
The bottom of the loom

As we walked over the Chicago River, I saw a new structure and asked Terry, “Do you suppose that’s the Trump building?”

As we waited for the next traffic light, a man came up to Terry and offered to waterproof his hiking boots. I walked ahead when the light changed. Meanwhile, the man squirted stuff onto Terry’s shoes despite Terry’s protests. “He pretended he didn’t understand English,” Terry told me later, “and he kept saying, “$28 a shoe!’ For that much money, I could buy new shoes!”
Terry told the guy to wipe the stuff off his shoe. Being more generous than I would have been, he gave the man $4. “$28 a shoe!” the man said.
“You’ll take what I give you,” Terry said, and finally pulled himself away.
We ended our day at Christkindlmarket. We weren’t really hungry, but felt compelled to have a bratwurst (Terry) and curry sausage (me). The curry catsup reminds me of my family’s trip to Germany when I was in college. Despite the weather, we had a lovely day. It wasn’t horribly cold and the crowds were minimal.
Not many folks out at Christkindlmarket
My curry sausage

Yesterday I got another thing crossed off my bucket list. I won the Purple Pride award! Some years ago, the College adopted purple and gold as our new school colors. The Athletic Department started a school spirit initiative called “Purple Pride Thursday.” I was all over that, mostly because any day when I don’t have to decide what to wear is a good day. This fall, I saw a pair of purple shoes advertised in L. L. Bean, and I’ve worn them every Thursday hoping the Purple Pride spotter would see me. Finally it happened! Here’s a picture of me with the traveling Purple Pride trophy, my new T-shirt (the prize), and my purple shoes and hoody. It should be noted that some of my co-workers have suggested that I should have a more ambitious bucket list.
 
The Purple Pride Thursday Winner of December 11, 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment