Sunday, March 9, 2014

The boys are back in town

When I got home Thursday, Terry told me that he had seen four tom turkeys. He pointed out the window to tracks that led from the house out toward the wetland. And I missed them! They had come up to eat the bird seed that had fallen to the ground.
Turkey tracks leading away from the house

Turkey tracks up close showing where the foot went down and the wing dragged in the snow

The next day, Terry and the turkeys surprised each other when Terry rounded the house to come in for the night. I was upstairs grading online projects when I heard him yell, “The turkeys are back!” I raced downstairs for my camera and telephoto lens and back upstairs to the deck. I was able to get a picture; I was not able to get the turkeys in focus. Nice view of the river birch, though.
Four tom turkeys


The girls have been venturing out to enjoy the relatively warm weather. The temperatures have edged up above freezing for the last several days. The chicken run is going to be wet for a long time. There much be three feet of snow in there. Note how high it comes up the fence post. Yesterday I shoveled the snow away from the netting as far as the second pole. With the snow leaning on the fence, it had become nearly impossible to get the fence attached to the chicken coop. It’s much easier now. Should have done it weeks ago.
The girls get some fresh spring air

No comments:

Post a Comment