Sunday, March 2, 2014

Carb loading

More snow yesterday, probably 4” by the time it was done. We had tickets to a book reading by Michael Perry at the Woodstock Opera House last night. The roads weren’t great, but let’s face it, if we didn’t drive in the snow this winter, we would have never left the house. I thought we should leave at 7:00, which would give us 15 extra minutes for a trip that usually takes about half an hour. Terry said, “That won’t give us enough time.”
“The show doesn’t start until 8:00,” I countered. “We should be there 15 minutes early.”
“We’re not going to be able to go very fast,” he said.
“Fine. How about if you just tell me when you want to leave?”
He did the calculation out loud. “Well, it’s 20 miles, and we probably can’t go faster than 40….We need to leave at five to seven.”
Oookaay. I think that means that I was right, but he didn’t want to admit it.
I informed my parents of the change in schedule. We left the house promptly at 6:55 and got to town in plenty of time despite being stuck behind less winter-worthy vehicles than my parents’ Subaru. We enjoyed the show. Michael Perry is very funny, and an hour and a half went by very quickly. He is from central Wisconsin. At one point he said he wasn’t going to apologize for getting us out in the weather because we’re from the Midwest, and we’re supposed to be out driving in snow. My thoughts exactly.

Today is my dad’s 88th birthday. And it is single-digit cold again, despite being the second day of March. Nothing for it but to make bread, which I did. I’m doing a beef roast dinner tonight. Hey, we can always eat!
Cinnamon swirl raisin bread--comfort food for a cold day

No comments:

Post a Comment