Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Vacation, Day 8: A beautiful farewell

 Alas, we lost our bet that it would not be raining in the morning. I loaded the car, trying not to get too much water on the luggage or too much mud in the cabin. We were on the road a little after 7:00.

We saw the trumpeter swans again at Swamper Lake. I couldn’t find a place to pull over other than at the information kiosk at the end of the lake. I grabbed my camera and walked back to where the swans were visible.

I took the first picture at 8:10.

First view of the swans

The swans saw me. They swam together and headed straight for me. I thought of three hypotheses that might explain this behavior: 1) they were curious about me; 2) some idiot had been feeding them, and they thought I had food, or 3) they were defending their territory and were intent on pecking my eyes out.

The swans met up

And headed straight for me

Whatever their intentions, it was pure magic to me. It was so quiet that morning—no wind, no cars, no bird song. I stood silently with the misty rain coming down and watched the swans glide toward me, propelled by the unseen force of their legs underwater. I didn’t want to breathe for fear of breaking the spell.

They looked at each other.


They looked to the left,


And to the right,


And away from each other.


They posed for a final shot, their bodies reflected in the still water.


I pulled myself away then. We had a long drive ahead of us, and I felt like I had been standing there a long time. I will try to hold the tranquility of those moments until we come back next year. The swans gave me a beautiful farewell. It was 8:15.

No comments:

Post a Comment