Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Memorial Day


It seems like Memorial Day was a long time ago, but it was just last week. Pat, Nancy, and Jane came out for a bonfire and cookout. We didn’t have much to burn, relative to our usual fires. Mostly this was a funeral pyre for the Eastern red buds that died in the polar vortex. Here we are at the fire, practicing our social distancing.
Socially distancing at the fire ring

The most exciting thing about the fire was the discovery of a downy woodpecker nest in a snag right behind where we were sitting. The parents seemed unconcerned by our presence and kept feeding their babies right along. They cooperated well with our photography. They paused and looked around before entering or exiting the nest.
Downy Dad brings food to the nest

Checking that the coast is clear before leaving the nest
Mom takes a turn feeding the chicks
Off for another hunt
My maidenhair fern is still alive! I was glad to see it. It certainly took its sweet time to unfurl its fronds.
Maidenhair fern

As spring transitions to summer, the shooting stars are blooming. They might be my favorite spring flower.
Shooting stars

Jane grew some Johnny jump-ups from seed and gave me some. The first one bloomed on Memorial Day. Two other blossoms joined it during the week. I’m impressed by how long the flowers last.
Johnny jump-ups

The irises are blooming as well, both the wild blue flag that I transplanted when we moved here and the domestic iris that Nancy gave me two years ago.
Blue flag (wild iris)

Domestic irises
The potatoes are finally up.
Potatoes

The radishes, lettuce, and scallions are happily growing in Earth Boxes.
Left to right: lettuce, radishes, scallions

The update on the tadpoles is not good. I walked to the last remaining puddle on Tuesday and there were hundreds of tiny black tadpoles.
Tadpoles

Tadpoles with my finger for a size reference
Most were hidden in the muck but with each step, they fanned out in front of my feet to look for a different hiding place.
We got a half inch of rain on Thursday, but it wasn’t enough. I walked over last night before I put the chickens to bed and saw that all of the living tadpoles were crowded into three small, shallow pools. There will be no survivors this year. I see birds pecking around in the area. The tadpoles will be a good source of protein for growing chicks. Life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment