Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Vacation, Day 3


 
Sunday morning
Sunday, July 20. It was a beautiful morning. There were three piles of scat at the end of the dock. I thought they were from raccoon. Nancy told us later that it was otter and that two otters had been hanging around. Just last night, Jane had hoped we would see the otter again this year.

Otter poop--it seemed to be mostly fish bones, fish scales, and crayfish shells
I made bacon and blueberry pancakes while Jane cut up a peach. Blueberry pancakes with peaches and maple syrup are really good.

After breakfast, we went to the office to get our fishing licenses and life vests. We fished off the dock until lunch, catching the usual tiny perch and bluegill.

Water lily by the dock
When it was time to eat again, Jane prepared bowls of peaches, red raspberries, and Rainier cherries while I cut up my lovely thin carrots and cucumbers. I put thinly sliced fresh garlic on buttered buns from Abby’s Bakery and popped them under the broiler for two minutes while Jane microwaved some barbecued pulled pork that she’d made and frozen before the trip. The pork was delicious to begin with; the fresh garlic put it over the top.

It was quite windy after lunch, too windy to take the boat out. We sat on the deck. I caught up my journal while Jane read. The wind would die down, and we’d think about taking the boat out. Then the wind would pick up again and the sky would cloud up. Oh well. It’s vacation. The whole point is that there isn’t anything that we need to get done.

Jane started dozing in her chair and eventually went inside to have a little nap. I took a walk instead. After some deliberation, I took my camera but not the telephoto lens. I’d barely walked past where the car was parked when I saw a cute little red squirrel nibbling on the mushroom that was almost bigger than it was. I got an okay picture which would have been better with the telephoto lens.

 
 
We were grilling out for supper. I made a foil pack of potatoes, onions, and pablano peppers for supper and another one without the peppers to save for breakfast. I sliced the zucchinis lengthwise and tossed them in oil, salt, and pepper. Along with the foil packs and zucchini, we had two beautiful porterhouse steaks. We had leftovers.

Supper: Enormous porterhouse, foil pack potatoes, grilled zucchini
I made a cobbler of peaches, blueberries, and the rest of the red raspberries, which needed to be used up. I drizzled maple syrup over the fruit and put four cream scones on top, sprinkled with a packet of turbinado sugar that I’d picked up at Louise’s while I was waiting in line. It was an excellent dessert, if I say so myself.
Peach, blueberry, raspberry cobbler
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment