Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Winter storm


Two days late with my weekly post. Terry and I went to the Natural Landscapes Seminar at MCC all day Saturday, which pushed my grocery shopping to Sunday, and lunch preparation for the week to Sunday night. So it goes. Monday evening, I was grading exams (rather horrible exams, which is always the case for photosynthesis and respiration) like a maniac. Winter storm Rocky today delivered a visit from the Goddess of Unexpected Free Time. The college closed at 2:30, so I was spared a meeting that would have lasted until 4:00.
By 2:50, most of the cars from the parking lot were parked instead on the entrance road waiting to get onto Highway 14. I went back to my office and graded more horrible exams until 3:30, at which time I was able to drive right out. It took more than twice as long to get home because I kept getting behind people going 15 fricking miles an hour. The conditions were certainly safe at 35 to 40, at least in my car. Oh well.
The weather continues to be wonky. Last Tuesday I drove home in a downpour. The next morning I drove to work in a blizzard. Today is only the second time all winter that we’ve had snow that was not preceded by rain/ice. It’s been messy and slippery.
Because I had such a busy week and had to get up at 5:30 every day including Saturday, I turned off the alarm Saturday night in order to sleep late Sunday morning. I slept all the way to 5:42. I’m so wild! It was my turn to do the chicken chores. The girls love to peck snow off of our boots. I intentionally walked through snow on my way to the coop just for them.
Ingrid (left) and Julia (right) start pecking at the snow on the top of my boot (bottom right)
Bridget (lower left), Giada (lower right), and Clarissa (top) want in on the snow action

It was a calm morning. The prayer flags hung straight down for the first time, I think, since we put them up.
Prayer flags on a calm morning

Even though it was 0°F Sunday morning, the hens ran right out into the yard to enjoy the morning sun. Everyone seems very happy. Egg production is up in anticipation of spring.
Stretching our legs in the morning sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment