Sunday, October 14, 2012

Production steps up


Last Tuesday, the girls produced 7 eggs—2 green and 5 brown. There were 4 Wednesday, 6 Thursday, 3 Friday, and 8 Saturday. EIGHT! Three of them were green.  Soon we will have more than we can use.  Eventually, we should have an equal number of green and brown, if all hens lay at the same rate. We’ve gotten 4 so far today (one green).
Saturday's harvest
Yesterday while I was making a fascinating video clip for my students on meiosis, Hilda canned the sauerkraut. I wasn’t sure it was done because it was not very “sauer”, but it wasn’t bubbling. I’m sure it will be fine. I believe that is the last canning for the year. I put the canner back in the box.
Sauerkraut ready for storage
We’ve been a bit lax harvesting the carrots. Some are fine; some are enormous; some have several roots; some of these are downright obscene.
Nude carrot dancer (male)
We’ve had two rainy days in a row, praise be. For all that, it hasn’t added up to much. Today is very pleasant, in the 60’s, and the moisture makes the air feel like spring. As if! The chickens have loved being out in the drizzle. In anticipation of the rain coming, I went out Friday to pull up the last of the landscape cloth. It’s backbreaking work to put it down and pull it up. It’s usually about two days on either end, and it saves a lot of backbreaking work pulling weeds all summer long. Rolling it up on Friday was nasty, dusty work. I am still blowing dirt out of my nose (TMI, probably). But as I keep telling myself, dust trumps mud!

No comments:

Post a Comment