Thursday, April 25, 2024

All this thyme

 

The thyme overwintered in the high tunnel. And how! It has surpassed its allotted quarter raised bed to take over nearly the whole thing. I must trim it back to make room for rosemary and oregano. This will involve digging out roots, which is not my favorite activity. The sage has resprouted to a lesser extent. I cut out the dead branches and hope that the rest will continue to grow.

Monstrous thyme with sage in the back

A small population of Johnny Jump-Ups has started up all by itself in the high tunnel. I love Johnny Jump-Ups. So cheery. One of the few games in town for pollinators this time of year.

Volunteer Johnny Jump-Ups

This bumblebee was losing no time systematically visiting each bloom, collecting what it could.

Bumblebee on a Johnny Jump-Up blossom (left)

Another bumblebee was visiting the tulips underneath one of the oaks. The tulips are unscathed from the frosts we’ve had this week. It almost seems like they are lasting longer in the cold.

Tulips

Back at the creek, the mayapples have finally hit their stride. I think I planted 5 initially. I count 32 in this picture with more coming. My plan to crowding out the reed canary grass is coming to fruition. BWAH-HA-HA!

Spreading mayapples

Dutchmen’s britches are blooming. I love the little pants hanging on the line. No idea how they ever get pollinated. I should dissect one of the flowers and see what’s going on, but I can’t bear to destroy one.

Tiny pants!

The bluebells are opening up more. They too should start spreading one of these years.

Virginia bluebells

Jane and I hope to add more wildflowers to the space by the creek in honor of our mothers, who loved them. I hope to live long enough to see them proliferate.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment