Monday, November 27, 2023

Thanksgiving

 I have been slacking off on blog posts more than I realized. We went to North Dakota last week for Thanksgiving. The week before we left was filled with far too much activity, including but not limited to attending a half-day philanthropy seminar on Wednesday; going to two events on Thursday; making cookies and pumpkin bread with Kate on Friday; baking three more batches of cookies for a bake sale, going to a consultation with a periodontist, and attending an evening event Saturday; and hosting game night Sunday. What was I thinking? All I can say is that everything seemed like a good idea at the time.

Early in the week, I baked sourdough crackers. The first time I tried the recipe, which calls for two tablespoons of dried herbs of the cook’s choice, I decided that the herb I would most like to have was cheese. This time, I threw in a big ol’ handful of parmesan. Also, I didn’t have time to bake the crackers the day I made the dough, so it sat in the refrigerator a few days. To my delight, the crackers puffed up, perhaps because of the extra yeast activity, and stayed crunchy until game night! At which point, Nancy, Jane, and I ate them ALL.

Sourdough Parmesan crackers

Jane brought her cats up with her on Sunday, as she was going to North Carolina for Thanksgiving and her brother and sister-in-law’s 50th anniversary shindig. We had arranged to have a friend come to the house every morning to feed cats and chickens, and two more cats wasn’t a bit deal. I’m pleased that her cats remember our cats and our house. There is much less hissing. In fact, when I let Gracie out of her travel crate, Banjo ran right up to her, and they exchanged nose kisses. It was very cute. Gracie spends a lot of time upstairs. In fact, I have all three cats here in the study as I type this. Gracie just walked over the keyboard and had to be removed from the desk. We had some quality time this morning.

Gracie on my lap

J.J. repaired to his hiding place behind the box of Christmas decorations in the basement storeroom. He doesn’t seem to lose a lot of weight, so I think he comes out at night to eat and use the litter boxes. I put a bed on the shelf for him. I know he uses it because I found him in it once.

Shy J.J. next to his bed on the storage shelf

He and I have bonded, in a way. When I call for him, he starts growling, or perhaps humming, as it does not seem aggressive at all. He comes out for head pets, and seems quite anxious for attention.

Head pets for J.J.


It is hard to get him to hold still for a photo, so eager is he to rub my hand.

Rubbing my had with his head

That left Monday to get the house and myself ready to leave for five days. As usual, I was tossing clothes into a suitcase late in the afternoon.

Oh my goodness, it’s a long drive to North Dakota. We broke up the outbound trip with a visit to Diane and Tom in the St. Paul area, which is just about halfway.

We spent Thanksgiving with three of Terry’s sisters (he had 10; 9 are still alive) and their husbands, if applicable. It was a whirlwind of people and places—the Moose Club for Steak Night Wednesday, Laura and Al’s house for turkey dinner and cards Thursday, the Eagles Club (for Terry) Friday afternoon, and the Mandan light display and pizza at Elaine and DeWayne’s Friday night.

Iris was kind enough to forward the pictures she took at the light display.

Iris in the entryway

Terry, Elaine and I by a car like the one in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Iris and Terry
Elaine and Iris


Elaine, Iris, me, Terry

Now that I’m back home, everything is getting back to normal. It was delightful to sleep in my own bed again. We had snow Sunday morning.

Snow Sunday morning

The girls were not excited about it. Only Goldie ventured out at first. She is standing on one leg in this picture. No sense having both feet in the snow at once.

Wind-blown Goldie standing on one leg

I had to clean the coop after my long absence. I tried to get the chickens out so I could do my chores.

Goldie, Sebastiana, and Bonnie venture out

Scratch grains helped some. Spot sat on the windbreak, trying to decide if walking on the ground was worth the treats. I had to shoo the other hens out of the coop and shut the inside door to keep them out until the coop was clean and the food and water refilled.

Spot is indecisive on the windbreak. Silvia and one of the Wyandottes are still in the coop.

I dove right back into baking again, since it isn’t Christmas without apricot-cranberry bread. Also, I have rediscovered granola. I forgot how good it is when you make it yourself. I remember when that was the only way you could get it! No ready-made granola in a box when I was young.

Granola fresh from the oven

Soon I’ll be on to Christmas cookies. I wonder why I can’t seem to lose any weight…

 


No comments:

Post a Comment