Tuesday, June 27, 2023

End of June

We had an inch of rain Saturday night! There was much rejoicing. We are hoping for more later in the week, as we are still WAY below normal precipitation for the summer. Nevertheless, the plants in my new native rain garden really took off in the last couple days.

Many of the rain garden plants shot up following an inch of rain

I’ve also planted six species of native plants that I grew from seed out in what Terry calls “The Milkweed Forest.” He only mows this strip of field once at the beginning of summer and leaves it for the monarchs the rest of the season. 

The Milkweed "Forest"

The six species include four that I ordered from a native seed company (cup plant, wild senna, partridge pea, and joe pyeweed) and two that I collected from plants I already have (butterflyweed and swamp milkweed). All of them seem to be surviving, but I sure did pick a bad summer to start plants away from water. Terry, bless his heart, drops off filled watering cans at both new gardens every other day so I can water. I started watering every day but have now been able to cut back.

Native plants in the new garden among the milkweeds

It’s sort of a rule of thumb in nature that you can make up for no brains by having good instincts. This particular monarch caterpillar seemed to have neither. Terry found its chrysalis on a watering can by the garden in the milkweeds. Interestingly, we found no damaged milkweeds and have seen no adult monarchs. It’s a mystery where the caterpillar came from. Terry brought the chrysalis inside and put it in a plastic container with airholes and milkweeds. The chrysalis is lying on its side. I suspect it has to hang upright to develop properly, but Terry turned down my offer to hand it on a thread. We are doing an experiment.

Chrysalis on a watering can

chrysalis, up close

We checked our beehive this morning. To our delight, the super has honey in it! The bees looked vigorous and healthy. Terry saw the queen, but I did not.

Bees going in and out of the hive

The pollinator garden next to the hive is beginning to bloom. Right now it is mostly early sunflower and black-eyed susan.

The pollinator garden

Two red admirals were busy on the early sunflowers.

Red Admiral on an early sunflower

Some butterflyweed I planted a year or two ago is blooming. I’m excited about that. It is such a vivid orange.

Butterflyweed

Try as I might, I was unable to see a single bee on any flower in the pollinator garden. Maybe if I put up a sign? However, when I was out in the Milkweed Forest, I heard a lot of buzzing. I tracked it down to a large population of clover.

A bee with pollen in its leg baskets on clover

Lots of clover

The vegetable garden is loving the rain as well. We harvested about 150 bulbs of garlic on Saturday. It is washed, bundled, and hanging to dry.

150 bulbs of garlic--is that enough?

The pea harvest started Saturday also. Here is the first half-cup of peas. It wasn’t enough for a side dish, so I mixed it with the couscous that we had with Greek chicken.

The first peas

I can’t believe June is nearly over already. It will be time to butcher the meat chickens soon. Before you know it, the tomatoes will be ripe! Summer is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment