Saturday, March 25, 2023

Snow. Again.

Here we go again. I woke up at 4:00 to snow and intermittent power failures, just a second or two, but enough to make my printer noisily reboot. I held out for almost an hour before deciding it was never going to end. I left my warm, cozy bed and unplugged the stupid printer. I finally fell back to sleep until 6:30.

My fear that we would have a long power outage was not realized. We had 6” of snow and electricity when I got up. No internet though. I wasn’t in a hurry, so Terry took care of some other things before he brushed the snow off the satellite dish. All has been well since then.

Six inches of new snow

The birds were going nuts at the feeders, which is common during a storm. Our cats spent a great deal of the morning stalking in vain behind the windows and sliding door. Bingo lay very flat on the cat perch in the living room, swishing his tail rapidly and eyeing a cardinal on the deck railing. The tail swishing seems maladaptive. He’s low to the ground, presumably so he can’t be seen, but here’s this big ol’ tail waving like a flag. I don’t get it.

Bingo stalks a cardinal

In a burst of springtime enthusiasm, I took my onion seedlings out to the glass greenhouse last week. With predicted temperatures of 20°F tonight, I took them back down to the kitchen in the basement this morning.

Onion seedlings reinstalled in the basement kitchen

Somehow, I didn’t get the door to the garage shut all the way. Sure enough, both cats escaped and had a gay old time crawling around under the cars. When I was done moving onion trays, I coerced two cobweb-covered cats back into the house with treats. The garage, therefore, is a little cleaner and the house is a little dirtier. Also, the cats have probably learned that they will get treats if they sneak out to the garage. This is not a good situation.

This afternoon, the boys kept me company in the study. They often nap in parallel positions.

Parallel cats

I overplanted peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes for the high tunnel because the seeds were getting old. The pepper seeds were too old and sprouted not at all. The cukes and tomatoes had 100% germination. Now I have a dilemma. Thin them now? Let them get four true leaves and repot them all? What to do? I can say for sure that I do not need 9 cherry tomato plants. I will lose my mind harvesting the hundreds of cherry tomatoes nine plants will produce. I can barely manage two.

Too many cucumbers

WAY too many tomatoes, but no peppers (middle row)

Yes, it has been a mild winter. Yes, the new snow is pretty on the trees. Nevertheless, today I am sick of it. So ready for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment