Monday, February 20, 2023

Scaly leg mites (reprise)

 

It is hard to remember that I drove home in a full-out blizzard last Thursday. The snow is almost all gone, and we’re having a spring-like day. This is predicted to last until Wednesday, at which time we may have a horrible ice storm. Give me snow any day. Ice is the worst.

I was proud of myself yesterday when I made crumpets with extra sourdough starter and did not burn the ass off of them. Both sides of all four crumpets were a lovely golden brown. I may master this new electric stove yet! I celebrated by opening a jar of free-range black raspberry jam.

Sourdough crumpets

The boys have found a new place to play. Bingo continues to love his secluded places, in this case under a rocking chair, and Banjo continue to pester him. Here we see Banjo biting Bingo in the throat. To date, there has been no blood drawn.

Banjo at Bingo's throat

Seconds later, all seems to be forgiven, and they are back to playing.

No harm done

Scaly leg mites continue to shorten my life. I have exchanged several emails with my vet friend, Dr. Chris. Unfortunately, there are few vets that treat chickens around here. Weird, because lots of people have chickens. Anyway, we are now spraying their legs with permethrin, a more or less natural insecticide from chrysanthemums. I also learned that mites are worse when the chickens have wet, muddy feet, which describes their run to a T at the moment. If only winter were winter! The run would be frozen, and we would all be better off. If the run were drier, they could dust bathe. Today, I ventured out to two farm supply stores and Walmart, parting with $55 overall, to buy assorted leg mite remedies. One of these was diatomaceous earth. I mixed it into some sand in a tub and put it in the run for dust bathing purposes.

At first the hens stood all around the tub and pecked out the larger pieces of sand. Thinking that they needed gravel for their crop, I tossed in some oyster shell grit, which they pursued with gusto. Not too much later, I saw one or two standing in the tub, pecking and scratching. Soon, Goldie was having a vigorous dust bath. She looked almost drunk with pleasure.

Goldie in dust-bath ecstacy

Brownie came by and gave Goldie a few good pecks. One of the Dominiques stood by, eating gravel. She should have been dust bathing, as she has some of the nastiest feet.

Brownie plans her attack while a Dominique eats gravel

Brownie hopped in and started pecking and burrowing under Goldie’s butt.

Brownie tries to kick Goldie out from behind

She chased Goldie around in a circle, but Goldie would not yield the bath.

Goldie moves around the edge...

But will not yield

I expect that I will have to fill the tub again tomorrow. Dust bathing is a messy activity. After dark tonight I need to clean and treat some open sores on the Dominiques’ feet. Poor things.

No comments:

Post a Comment