Saturday, January 7, 2023

How Cats Train Us

A definite perk of getting the cats is that when I’m at a loss for a blog post, I can always get some cute cat pictures. Jane says you can’t have too many cute cat pictures.

Cats don’t talk, yet they are adept at letting their owners (or staff, some would argue) what they want. When we first got the cats, we got a cat tree for them. We put it in the basement because that was where they stayed for the first couple of weeks as they got acclimated. We still put them in the basement at night so they can run around without disturbing us. The cat tree stayed where it was.

When Farm and Fleet was having a 20% off sale, I bought a second cat tree for the study so the cats could hang out with me when I was working in there. The tree had a half pipe on the top and a shelf underneath. Two spots, two cats. That should work out, shouldn’t it? I knew I was being overly optimistic on that one. Only the half pipe afforded a look out the window. Still, both cats didn’t have to be in the study at the same time. There were plenty of comfortable places to sleep in the living room.

Of course, watching me type is quite fascinating. Even more importantly, the study window faces east and would get morning sunlight if the sun ever shines again. The cats had An Issue.

No room in the half pipe

Without adequate room for both of them, one of them, in this case, Banjo, sprawled on my desk. From my perspective not ideal.

Alternate resting spot. Not ideal.

Worst yet, the moment I left the room, Banjo took over my chair! We definitely had an inadequate number of cat trees.

That's MY chair! Dude, you have gone too far!

Farm and Fleet was having another sale. Jane and I checked three different stores and finally located a matching tree in Sycamore. She picked it up for me and delivered it Friday.

The boys took to the trees like flies to poop. First they both faced the windows.

One tree each, facing the window in parallel positions

Then Banjo noticed that Bingo needed to have his head groomed.

Let me tidy you up a little

Later in the morning, they both faced the hallway. I have not yet seen them oriented in opposite directions.

What are YOU looking at?

After I finished my email, I got up to brush my teeth. When I got back, Banjo was standing on the keyboard. I shooed him off and saw the outcome. His first Google search! They grow up so fast.

Banjo's first search

I am not surprised that a long string of 5s followed by a long string of semicolons did not produce any search results. I wonder, however, why “90I form Louisiana printable” is a related search.

A few days ago, Banjo discovered how to crawl inside the pillowcase covering a cat bed in the living room. Unclear on the concept. The pillowcase is supposed to keep the cat hair off the bed, as a pillowcase is a good deal easier to wash than a cat bed.

Banjo in the pillowcase

It didn’t take Bingo long to follow suit.

Bingo in the pillow case

But what’s really fun is when one cat, in this case Banjo, gets in the pillowcase

Banjo's tail sticking out of the pillowcase

and the other jumps him. Remind me again—why do we spend money on cat toys?

And Bingo jumps him

Just one more thing to report this week. I bought myself an Aerogarden for Christmas this year. I’m not sure why it’s called an Aerogarden because it is, in fact, a hydrogarden. In any case, my first lettuce is 25 days old and growing rapidly. I am finally living the dream of growing greens in the winter!

First lettuce from the Aerogarden

No comments:

Post a Comment