Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Back to our roots

October. It’s quiet in the mornings now, just a few calls from chickadees, crows, and blue jays. I haven’t seen the hummingbirds in awhile, although Jane insists that I need to leave the feeder up until her birthday next weekend. She still has swarms of them at her house. I think that’s where all of mine have gone. 
 It’s time for the roots to be harvested. In addition to the usual odd carrots that grew together, sometimes in obscene ways, I pulled out this carrot that had odd bumps growing on it, as if the side roots failed to elongate. 
Mr. Carrotface

We had a good potato harvest. Terry did a good job of digging without severing very many tubers. I set the cut ones aside in a paper bag marked “wounded.” We use those first. I also separated out the “weenies” which, due to their high surface area, also don’t keep well and need to be used promptly. All the rest were put into boxes by variety, Burbank Russet, Red Norland, and Kennebec. 
Potato harvest, upper left to lower right, Burbank Russet, Red Norland, Kennebec

Oh, the beauty of a new potato! So firm and crisp. So easy to peel. So delicious! I always plan to use them up before they get all shriveled and sprouty, but one day follows another, and before you know it, we will be in March, the Month of the Wrinkled Potato. They are hard to wash and peel, but we eat them anyway. 
A champion-sized Kennebec

I’ve started rolling up the weed barrier between the rows. I hate putting it down, and I hate picking it up, but it sure does save a ton of time in between. Over the summer, numerous ant colonies have decided that the weed barrier makes the perfect cover for their home; it is only a matter of time before I have ants in my pants. I suffered bites to my left knee and thigh, but the itching doesn’t last long. 
Rolling up the weed barrier

The kittens are settling in. I am often delayed in my morning chores by a Banjo on my knee, so to speak. (Oh, Suzanna, don’t you cry for me.…) Here he is napping between my legs. 
Banjo stretched from my feet to my hips--and not even full grown!

Cats can make you feel like you are the most fascinating creature on Earth. They follow us around just to see what we’ll do next. (Are you putting on your socks? WOW!) I spent LOTS of time in the kitchen these days, and my little kitchen helpers are right there with me. 
My kitchen "helpers"

 They aren’t much help, though. I spilled a bunch of chicken stock on the floor, and neither of them showed the slightest interest in helping clean up. Useless!

No comments:

Post a Comment