Friday, April 1, 2022

April Fool!

 On this April Fools Day, Mother Nature pranked us with an inch of new snow and 24°F. Ha ha. Very funny. The snow was gone by afternoon everywhere except in deep shade, such as the north side of the house.

Oaks 3 and 4 at sunrise this morning

I am ready for spring, but it appears that it will be chilly for at least another week. I hope to get out to the high tunnel to plant lettuce one of these days.

I saw one of our does with her two fawns Wednesday morning. The larger fawn lagged behind the other two; I did not get a picture.

Mom (right) and fawn

I was glad to see that the smaller one was still around. The last time I saw it, it was limping and had scratches on its back as if it had been jumped by a coyote. There are still some dark patches on its shoulder. The deer were out just at sunrise, and the light wasn’t great, but as far as I could see, the wounds were healing. It wasn’t limping any more. Both fawns have made it through the winter, and so have we.

Fawn showing dark patches on its shoulder and back from a recent injury

 

No comments:

Post a Comment