Wednesday, January 5, 2022

More memories

 Winter has arrived. A vicious cold wind has been blowing all day. I don’t understand how the snow can still be blowing around. You would think by now it would all be where it was going to go. The wind chill is supposed to be 15°F below zero by morning. Brr. The hens do not like this weather one bit. They stay in the coop all day long.

I haven’t been outside much either. I’ve been on a tear to get my parents’ stuff cleaned out of the upstairs, so this will be a short post this week. It was painful cleaning out Hilda’s file cabinets. She had a whole drawer called “Memories.” I have been time traveling a lot, back and forth between Hilda’s childhood, my childhood, and all the stages between then and now. I will share two of the pictures from my childhood. The first one is dated June, 1961. My brother and I were both born in June, one year and 51 weeks apart. In this photo, Doug and I have just turned 4 and 2, respectively. Even at this tender age, our personalities are already on the path they would take for our entire lives. I don’t know what trouble we have just gotten into, but Doug is ready to charm and bluff his way out of it while guilt is written all over my face. I expect my mother laughed her ass off when she saw us.

Doug, Mr. Charm and Bluff; Bev, Guilt Personified

The next one is from 1969, the first photodocumentation of me as a trophy fisherperson. I have to say, compared to the tiny fish we typically caught off the dock in front of our house, this perch is enormous. Most of the perch we usually saw had very little dorsal-ventral depth. I actually didn’t recognize the fish in this picture at first because it was so fat. What I like most about this picture is it shows a little girl who is not squeamish about putting her fingers in a fish’s gills. A biologist in the making.

An exciting catch from my 10th summer

That’s all for today. Back to cleaning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment