Wednesday, November 17, 2021

First snow

It’s feeling like winter. It makes me sad, but it is seasonally appropriate. The goldfinches are not gold anymore.

Not-gold finches

Their general strategy is to have representatives sit on the bird feeder and throw seeds to the ground as fast as they can. Then everyone flies in and has a party on the lawn.

PARTY! Mostly goldfinches with a few house finch crashers

The weekend had about the most dismal weather you can get--rain, snow, wind. Why, yes, that is snow in the picture.

Snow

When Terry came to bed Saturday night, he told me there was an inch of snow on the ground, even though the forecast was for no accumulation. By morning, though, most of it had melted from the grass. Only the deck bore testimony to the night’s precipitation.

The last vestiges of the snow that fell Saturday night

Last week, I wrote about the tomatoes biting the dust. I had some tomatoes ripening in the house. The very last one went to bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato sandwiches. I’ll long for ripe tomatoes long before they are available again, but for now, I’m glad to be done with them.

The last tomato sandwich of 2021

The only thing left that requires my attention are a few more apples. When the weather is so gray, wet, and bleak, I can’t keep myself out of the kitchen. I have to find something else to do soon, however, because every freezer we own is packed with baked goods. Anyway, I looked through some cookbooks for an apple cake recipe. I came up with on in King Arthur Flour 100th Anniversary Cookbook. I’m beginning to suspect that these recipes are of more historic than culinary importance. The cake was leavened with yeast rather than the usual baking powder and/or soda. It did not have much of a yeasty flavor, a disappointment to me. It also had a kind of weird aftertaste. I’ll give it this—it aged well. By the third day or so, the weird flavor went away. I admit that it was a pretty cake, but I doubt if I will make it again. 

Not-so-good apple cake

No comments:

Post a Comment