Saturday, May 29, 2021

Early morning surprise

 I did not intend to get up at 5:00 this morning, but that was when Terry came into the bedroom to announce that a doe had just dropped her fawn at the far end of our field. It was too far away for great pictures. I have not cashed in my retirement savings to get a Really Big telephoto lens yet. By the time I had my camera, the doe had licked the baby and nudged it until it was on its feet.

Nudging the baby to its feet

A better view of the fawn

The baby nursed for just a moment.

Breakfast

It then went off to play.

And off to explore the big new world!

That was quite an exciting start to the day!

Last week Terry found a tiny nest with “jelly-bean-sized eggs” in one of his dwarf Alberta spruces. I did a stake out, which took about 30 seconds, and identified the parents as chipping sparrows. I haven’t been back to check if they’ve hatched. I’d be devastated if I found out that a racoon got them.

Chipping sparrow nest in a dwarf Alberta spruce

I took a picture with a ruler for a size reference. It seems that the eggs are about 1 cm long. Very cute.

Sparrow eggs with ruler for size reference

I have seen both male and female orchard orioles, but only the male hung around for a photo op.

Orchard oriole at the jelly

The irises and columbines have bloomed.

Iris

Columbine

I’m excited that the first poppy has opened up in my pollinator garden. There are many more ready to go soon. I love poppies! I note that this one has white spots and yellow pollen. Last year most of them had black spots and dark pollen.

First poppy

I am learning that things grown in the high tunnel can reach unusually large sizes. Look at this spinach leaf!

Giant spinach leaf

I don’t know if the large size is because the plants are sheltered from the wind or because it is like a hundred damned degrees in there every time the sun comes out

I also harvested a whole lot of oregano and thyme, which is now in my dehydrator. I normally wait until the last moment, when the herbs are all full of holes from little critters, but not this year. I realize that in years past, the herbs were ready for harvest at the same time as everything else, but no more. We’re months ahead of schedule.

A bin full of oregano with thyme in the upper left corner

I’ve been picking peas from the high tunnel also. Here is the first picking. I threw them in a stir fry with some of the giant spinach and enormous “baby” bok choy. The high tunnel is certainly a lot of fun so far!

First picking of peas--maybe half a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment