Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Nice weather

 Seems like summer these last two days with temperatures in the high 70’s. I took a walk to the creek to see what was going on. The creek is low. We were supposed to have rain this afternoon, but it went around us. We are still hoping to get some tonight. Every time we see an updated forecast, the chance of rain goes down, though. It has been very dry, which means that Terry is griping about having to water his trees, and I have to listen to it.

Not much water in the creek

Most of my transplants are not sprouting yet. The ramps are up. They are not spreading the way I hoped they would. Perhaps I’ll plant more one of these days.

Ramps by the creek

The scilla, on the other hand, are propagating. Each one I planted last spring has several new plants around it. I know it’s not native, but my plan is to replace the garlic mustard with something that at least has a prettier flower.

Scilla

The peas in the high tunnel are leafing out. Terry has turned on the outside hoses, so watering the high tunnel is a breeze. Also, I don’t have to haul water to the coop from the kitchen.

Pea sprouts

One morning, four deer walked across the field in the dawnzerlee light. I think it was Beverly Cleary’s character, Ramona the Pest, who thought that was how the national anthem began and wondered if it was some kind of lamp. Cleary died last week at 104. I loved her books and also that we shared our first name.

Deer at sunrise

The ground squirrels have ended their hibernation. I shouldn’t speak for all of them. I’ve only seen one at a time, and I do not have the kind of intimate relationship with them that would enable me to tell one from another.

13-striped ground squirrel taking in the view

What are YOU looking at?

The Asian ladybugs are out in force. There’s one crawling all over my laptop even as I type this. Terry keeps vacuuming them off the walls and floor, but there’s always more. He says they will figure out soon that there is more food outside, and then they will leave us alone. I say, “Ha ha, good one.” I am of the opinion that they will pester us until the soybeans are up, and that will not be any time soon.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment