Monday, April 15, 2019

Winter relapse

We didn’t have nearly the amount of snow that folks got down south. Jane sent me pictures of 8” of snow piled on her bird feeders. We got maybe half that much. It certainly looked winter-like.
April blizzard

I thought the best way to cope with an April blizzard was a chocolate cream pie. Jane, Pat, and Nancy were coming to dinner, but Jane was snowed in. The company that removes the snow for her homeowners’ association had already taken the plows off the trucks and put them away for the winter. Pat and Nancy were north of the Big Snow and made it without too much trouble. I promised to make another pie for Jane sometime. I can’t see a downside.
Chocolate cream pie

Today started sunny but cold--22°F. By afternoon it was edging up toward 50°, and the backyard looked like the snow had never happened, except where the fifth oak cast a shadow.
Like the snow never happened, except in the shadows

Two week ago, Hilda and I went to GardenFest at the College. The keynote speaker talked all about moss gardens. We were very excited to see moss growing in one of Terry’s pots in the greenhouse.
Moss growing around the edge of a pot

Here’s a close up of the sporangia (spore forming bodies).
Close up of sporangia

Terry was not excited. “I hate that damn moss,” he grumbled. “I just have to pull it out.”
Well. I think it’s beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment