Tuesday, November 6, 2018

When life gives you apples


Why yes, I am late with my post this week. Stupid router needed to be reset again, and I didn’t have the moral fortitude to do it last night.
Big news for this week--our first True Blue Whiting pullet egg. I think it looks a little bluer than the Americauna egg, don't you? If you use your imagination?
True Blue Whiting egg (left) and Americauna egg (right)
The day after the burn last week, I was back in the kitchen working my way through the apples. Most of the apples were past their prime, but the Pink Ladies ripen last and were still in peak conditions. I made apple-raisin muffins, apple cake (with cream cheese frosting—bonus!), and dried apples. And there were still more apples.
On Saturday, I did my usual stint checking in vendors at the Green Living Expo. There were two significant differences. First, it was not rainy, windy, and cold as bloody hell. It was actually kind of a pleasant morning, for November, mid-40’s, calm, and dry. We even had brief periods of sun. I forgot my hat, but didn't even miss it. The second difference is that my long-time vendor check-in buddy, Pat, was on vacation! Horreur! Instead of being there in person, she loaned me her CERT stop sign. One of our biggest challenges in years past had been getting people to stop to get their check-in packets. Here’s what I rigged up.
Pat's stop sign with Vendor Check-In in the middle of the road to get the vendors' attention

The signage seemed to increase compliance considerably. Our new Director of Urban Agriculture Project, Alissa, filled in for Pat. Here is a selfie she took.
Me and Alissa (who is wearing a hat because she forgot to wear long underpants)

Because I was not worn out and chilled to the bone from check in, I stayed the whole day. I gave a tour of the new science building to a small but interested group at noon. After that, I hung out, helped as needed, and folded up chairs at the end of the day.
I went out for dinner with other members of the organizing committee, and that officially took up the rest of the day.
Back to the apples on Sunday. I made apple-oatmeal crumb coffee cake, apple pancakes, and enough apple-raisin oat bran cereal for my weekday breakfasts. In case you are wondering, my freezer is full of apple-related baked goods.
Still there were apples, both Pink Ladies and some Jonathans that Terry discovered were still holding up. The only thing left to make was applesauce. Applesauce is easy, and once you’ve had homemade, store bought will forever taste watery and insipid. Peel and core the apples. Put the chunks in a big pot.
Step one: peeled, cored apple chunks in a big pot

Add a little water so you don’t burn the ass off the apples on the bottom and heat, stirring occasionally.
Step two: heat and stir

Eventually, the apples will fall apart, and there’s your applesauce.
Step three: apples fall apart

I made a batch of Pink Lady apple sauce and a batch of Jonathan. The Pink Lady was a bit sweet for my taste, while the Jonathan was a little tart. I mixed them together for a perfect blend. It turned out to be four and a half quarts. I froze 6 1-cup portions and three quarts.
There were just enough apples left for Hilda to make a pie on Monday. We finished the pie tonight. Apple-oatmeal crumb coffee cake will emerge from the freezer tomorrow.
I think that’s it. No more produce to put up this season. And there was much rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment