Sunday, April 1, 2018

Still waiting


It was 20°F this Easter morning. It never got above 38°. Amid the various seasonal symbols of rebirth, resurrection, and reproduction, we are still waiting for spring. I took a walk yesterday. It was blustery but warm enough that I did not need gloves. Low gray clouds skittered across the sky. Kind of depressing. Terry claims to see buds swelling. I have not been able to verify it by my own observations. Other than the grass and the rhubarb, the plants seem to be hitting the snooze button. Hilda’s onion sprouts are growing bravely in the greenhouse, oblivious to the actual environmental conditions outside.
Hilda's onion sprouts

Spring break has come and gone. I accomplished some major goals, such as taking my parents to see a lawyer to get their wills updated and getting signed onto their bank accounts so that I can easily pay their bills when the time comes. I have such a threshold of resistance to planning for their ultimate departure, as if by denial I can prevent it. And yet, once we got started, it was quick and not very hard. It is a relief to have that underway. The lawyer will send drafts for our review, and then we go in again to sign. It will be good to have that checked off the list.
I also spent a day getting ready to replace a colleague who will be having a baby any minute. I know for sure that I will have her lecture on Wednesday. I may have her lab and lecture tomorrow as well. I’m in for a frantic 5 weeks. The show must go on!
The fun part of my break was an overnight at Jane’s house. We did quite a lot of shopping. She had coupons for Easter candy, causing me to buy way more than we needed in order to save $2.00. This is, after all, the last major chocolate holiday until Halloween. Always good to stock up. I was inspired to get my Easter basket out of the Christmas storage box and fill it as a surprise for Terry this morning.
Terry's Easter Basket

Jane came up for Easter dinner this afternoon. It was nice to have company. We played Mexican train afterwards.
The last day of vacation is a drag. I have to put my mind to my clothes and my lunch for tomorrow. I know the semester will be over before I know it. Summer is coming. Really! At least I have enough chocolate to tide me over.

No comments:

Post a Comment