Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Flora and fauna

 I always knew that bur oaks were important to their natural community, yet I continue to be amazed at the importance of acorns as a food source. Last week I posted a photo of the turkeys, which we still see on a daily basis foraging below the spreading oak crowns. Other regular visitors include these twin fawns, still with spots.
Fawns eating acorns under the fifth oak
They still have spots
One morning last week, Terry spotted 10 deer moving through. It should be noted that as cute as the fawns are, we wish they would stick to eating acorns and leave Terry’s trees alone.
Our most amazing visitors so far were this pair of sandhill cranes. They seemed to be eating acorns for a while but then moved off toward the willows.
Sandhill cranes apparently eating acorns also
Are they kissing? Someone could lose an eye!

When I planted my butterfly garden by the shed at the beginning of summer, I could not imagine that those puny little seedlings would ever fill in the space, certainly not in a single season. So wrong. Here’s the garden now. I suppose I’ll have to be dividing them as early as next year.  I have also observed butterflies visiting the flowers. Mission accomplished.
Left to right: meadow blazing star (lavender), early sunflower (yellow), obedient plant (pale lavender),
great blue lobelia (blue, duh)

While I was laid up with my burned foot, Terry kept telling me that the cardinal flowers out in my restoration area were peaking. As soon as I could get shoes on both feet and had a day off, I went out to see for myself. On my way, I was happy to see that we have evening primrose in the field now.
A robust example of evening primrose

Terry is contributing to the restoration effort by planting four swamp white oak. He had to wait until quite recently for the soil to dry enough to get the saplings in the ground.
Swamp white oak, well defended from the deer
The cardinal flowers were incredible! I love the redness of them. I am also excited to see cardinal flowers colonizing the area south of the fire break. I must do something about the reed canary grass next spring, but otherwise, the native plants seem to be well established. After I retire, I can start collecting seed and expanding the area.
Cardinal flowers
Cardinal flowers everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment