Sunday, March 5, 2017

Signs of spring

The thermometer said 39° this morning, but with an overcast sky and a biting east wind, it seemed much colder. I should have worn a hat, certainly. Not having much to blog about this week, I ventured forth to see if I could find something to photograph.
I’m pleased to report that Nadia is looking pretty good! She still won’t hold still long enough for me to get a picture that is in focus, but you get the idea.
Nadia restored to her former glory

The robins are back. I saw one on my way home from work on Thursday. Terry and Hilda reported seeing one each on Friday and Saturday, respectively. This morning, they were everywhere.
Two of the many robins I saw today

I scared up a killdeer on my walk, but couldn’t get a picture. Redwing blackbirds are everywhere in abundance. I wondered if we would have so many since the burn, as they like to be up off the ground. One lucky fellow found a box elder sapling that did not burn.
Most, however, are hanging around on the ground, staking out territories just as if the grasses were high. Could they be anticipating new growth in the spring? Or are they just forced to take what’s left because of the sheer number of competitors?
Male displaying his epaulets in the burn stubble

Meanwhile, flocks of birds in the millions are everywhere to be seen. One flock I observed with binoculars seemed to be mixed starlings and grackles. Here they are on the lawn.
Mixed flock of blackbirds on the lawn
And in the treetops back by the creek.
Blackbirds in the trees
The cacophony is remarkable. This video is better listened to than watched.

The most exciting event of the week could not be photodocumented. Two sandhill cranes glided in for a landing in my restoration plot at the south end of the property. I watched them for some time with my spotting scope as they poked around in the standing water. When I was out just now, I verified that there was nothing moving in the water, so I can’t say what they were after. We would love to have a pair nest on our land, but I think the odds are long. Not enough for the adults to eat, much less to feed a chick.

No comments:

Post a Comment