Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Boundary Waters Day 7

Thursday, July 21
A storm came through at 3:45. There was so much lightening that it looked like someone turned a strobe light on the cabin. I checked the windows and shut the ones that faced the lake where a slight breeze seemed to be coming in. I went back to bed and continued to worry that the rain would come in. Jane got up a short time later and closed the rest of the windows since the rain was really pounding by then. Sometimes it’s better to shut the windows and swelter than lie awake wondering what’s getting wet. We were glad we weren’t in a tent.
The thunder gave way to a gentler rain. I opened my window to let in blessedly cooler air. Comfortable at last, I fell soundly asleep and didn’t get up until 7:30. Jane slept until 8:15.
I could see from the cabin that there was so much water in the boat that it was listing. While we were eating eggs with stuff (scallions, green pepper, grated potatoes, brats, and curds), the Summer Help came by and bailed the boat. I thanked him as he walked by on his way back to the office.

Breakfast--eggs with stuff
 We felt that we should take the boat out because the young man had taken such pains to bail it for us, but it was too windy. We didn’t feel like spending another day in the car to get to Lutsen, even though one thing on our list of what we’d like to do was take the mountain tram to the top when the weather was clear. The first time we did that, the fog was so heavy we couldn’t see anything.
Unable to make a plan for the morning, we fell back on the default of Jane reading and me typing. Jane felt compelled to take a picture of me catching up my journal.

At 11:20, I took a walk while Jane finished her mystery. “This is why I don’t read more,” she said. “Once I get started, I can’t put it down.”
I had a lovely walk. Although it was hot in the sun, much of the road was shaded, the sky was blue, the wind was cool, and the freshly-washed air smelled clean and piney.
We were at that point in vacation where meals were based more and more on what was left over. Breakfast had been late and large; lunch was catch as catch can. I had a cold pancake, a granola bar, yogurt, and cherries. I loved the cold pancakes. The blueberries broke in my mouth with a burst of refreshing sweet juice. Awesome.
After lunch we took the boat out to fish. It did not seem likely that we would have time on Friday, and we had a dozen and a half leeches to get rid of. It was still windy; the anchors were not up to the task. They merely slowed the rate of our drifting. We got many nibbles and landed a few perch. I could not get rid of a leech to save my life. Jane went through four leeches to every one of mine. Her natural selflessness overcame her from time to time, and she offered to switch to artificial bait.
“Focus on the goal,” I reminded her. “As soon as the leeches are gone, we can get out of the sun.”
That moment came at quarter to four. I didn’t want to commit to not fishing for the rest of the trip, so we set aside our fishing pants and shirts instead of packing them with the dirty laundry.
Over the years, we have found that the antlers on the wall are the perfect place for hanging our hats and PFDs (personal flotation devices).
Antlers make good PFD  racks

I put the rest of our charcoal into the charcoal chimney to verify that we had enough for steak, zucchini, and a foil pack. I went to work in the kitchen, first making a peach cobbler with two peaches and the last two scones. I put the rest of the broccoli and garlic with two small potatoes and much of the remaining Parmesan into a foil pack with some butter. I put the cheese between the potatoes and the broccoli, which resulted in much less burnt cheese.
Jane lit the coals when the cobbler came out of the oven. We used birch bark that we’d found along the road, which created a huge amount of sweet-smelling smoke and lit the charcoals quickly.
Birch bark starting the charcoal

We sat on the deck until mosquito curfew at about 7:30. We played Mexican Train, ate peach cobbler, and went to bed. It was hard to remember the last time I’d had such a relaxing day.
Peach cobbler

The night was cool and absolutely calm. Not a leaf stirred; not a bird called. So peaceful.


No comments:

Post a Comment