Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Boundary Waters Vacation, days 1 and 2

Friday, July 15
Despite all of my good intentions of starting to pack my clothes as soon as the cleaning ladies were done on Tuesday, when Friday morning dawned, I had only gotten as far as setting out my hat. I had, at least, done the garden raid and gotten my share of the food in a box or where I could find it in the refrigerator.
After I got the chicken chores done, I started pulling things out of dresser drawers in earnest, crossing items off the list as I loaded up my duffel bag. I was packed and had all the old photos downloaded and off the camera card before Jane got to my house at 10:07.
Since our last trip, Jane had gotten a smaller walker and smaller folding chairs. It wasn’t even hard to find room for my stuff in the car this time. We were on the road 15 minutes later.
We stopped for lunch at the A&W north of Madison. We hadn’t had A&W root beer for years, and it sounded good. We asked for frosty mugs, which is what makes the root beer taste so good but also constrained us to sit a little longer in the restaurant. I had a chili cheese dog with fries. The chili was canned; the cheese was liquid—it completely met my expectations. It was also a mess, but I managed to not end up wearing any of it.
Jane noticed on the receipt that we had gotten a 10% senior discount (total savings: $1.20).
“My first one!” I said. Jane was quick to point out that she was more likely to have been the qualifier.
We made our usual stop at Carr Valley Cheese in Mauston to get curds. They had Benedictine in stock, so I felt compelled to get some to take home. It would be well-traveled by the time we got there, but I knew from experience that the store would be closed by the time we passed by in a week.
The Holstein bench at Carr Valley
We got to Americas [sic] Best Value Inn (ABVI) in Chetek at 4:45. I’d contacted Julie and Pat, our friends in Cornell, WI about meeting us for dinner again. Julie was out of town, but Pat was game. The desk clerk said he’d heard good comments about the newly reopened Pokegama Inn Supper Club. We love supper clubs. Also, Jane was curious about Pokegama because in our camp days, people routinely called Pokonokah asking if we still had the Friday Fish Fry.
Entrance to Pokegama
I called Pat, and we agreed on 6:00. After Jane and I settled in, we drove over to check the place out. They were serving the entire menu, not just the Fish Fry Buffet. We were early, so we went to the bar in the back of the restaurant for a drink while we waited. The décor was classic Northern Wisconsin. The bar, furniture, and paneling were pine. A tar-patched birch bark canoe hung upside down over the bar. The base of the bar and all the tables were covered with slabs of paper birch, bark still (mostly) attached.
Pat showed up right at 6:00. The food was good, but it took almost an hour to get our food. Should have had the buffet. But we had a nice visit with Pat. Plenty of time to talk.  Pat is really retired from teaching now and is at loose ends about what to do next. Move? Not move? Work? Not work?
We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. Jane and I returned to ABVI. I was so sleepy that I went to bed. Jane was not sleepy at all and was awake until after midnight.
Saturday, July 17
It was a beautiful morning. Not finding anywhere we wanted to eat in Chetek, we had breakfast at the Norske Nook in Rice Lake.
We saw a bald eagle shortly after we got on the highway. Other sightings included an osprey on a telephone pole and a huge black bird with narrow white stripes running parallel to its body not quite in the middle of its wings. We both saw these stripes distinctly, but there was nothing in the bird book that was even close.
Two Harbors was having its Chalk-A-Lot festival, which was less disruptive to the town that the Pioneer Days we ran into last year. Two blocks were barricaded so that children could draw on the streets with sidewalk chalk. There was no line at Louisa’s Place. I ordered one ham sandwich, which we shared in the car down by the lighthouse. Really, this was how we should have been eating all along.
We stopped at Zup’s in Silver Bay to get their legendary bratwurst and Our Family horseradish mustard. Jane remembered that we had gotten fresh frozen brats before; the only thing we could find was precooked and shrink wrapped.
When we got to Grand Marais, there was a line out to the street at Sydney’s. We’d never seen it so busy. “Do you want to wait?” Jane asked.
“Of course!” I replied in a tone that questioned her sanity at even asking the question. I waited while Jane went around front to claim our bench. I ordered a kid cone and a single cone of Dutch chocolate so we could compare the sizes. The kid cone was really, truly one scoop, while the single was two. Go figure. In any case, the kid cone was perfectly adequate.
Custard at Sydney's!
We didn’t need anything at Gene’s Foods except ice and a WondeRoast rotisserie chicken, our traditional first night meal.
The loons and white-throated sparrows greeted us immediately on our arrival at Hungry Jack Outfitters. We unloaded the car and filled up the refrigerator with all the food from our coolers. I delivered two dozen eggs, fresh garlic, zucchini, and green peppers to Dave. Nancy was out guiding a plein aire art class for the weekend.
We had chips and salsa with margaritas for happy hour on the deck. We don’t make margaritas from scratch anymore. That much hard liquor sets my stomach on fire. We pour Jose Cuervo Golden margarita mix from the bottle over ice. We are so old.
We ate some of the WondeRoast chicken, played Farkel, and went to bed early.


No comments:

Post a Comment