Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day

I got up early this morning to make caramel rolls for Father's Day. Hilda took pictures with the caramel rolls closer to us, but I didn't notice they were out of focus until I put them on the big screen. Oh well. Dad is the most important thing, anyway.
Dad and me with caramel rolls in the corner of the picture
Hilda and I spent the rest of the morning picking cherries. Terry and I tried to put a net over the tree a few weeks ago. We were only partially successful at deterring the birds. It wasn't perfect to begin with, and a storm Tuesday night didn't help (although it did bring us 1.6" of much needed rain). Hilda picked all the cherries she could reach from the ground and starting pitting those while I finished up with the ladder. We got a little over a quart--just enough for a cherry pie on July 4.
Cherries
Terry and I got the sign installed inside the posts last week.
Terry's sign
The asparagus harvest is over. We have let the asparagus grow so it can store energy in its roots for next year. When I was out cutting thistles (I have far too many thistles in my life!) behind the asparagus patch, I noticed that the stalks were a-buzz with bees and bumblebees. Most remarkably, said insects had their leg baskets packed with bright orange pollen to the point where I wondered how they could fly. It was amazing to me that these seemingly insignificant flowers would be such a significant source of nutrition for the bees.
Bee with full saddlebags on asparagus flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment