Sunday, February 14, 2016

Valentine's Day

We made it through the week without any trips to the emergency room. I continue to be relieved every time I feel like there is something in my eye and can actually find something to take out. No repeat of the corneal abrasion so far.
Skippy went home Friday. I dropped him off on my way to pick Jane up at the airport. It was good to see her, and good to return the cat to his rightful home. We kind of miss him,though. Nothing quite like having a cat on your lap on a cold winter evening.
Terry and I celebrated Valentine’s Day last night with a trip to Café 40 in Marengo. I didn’t want to go out today because tomorrow is a work day. I am making braised shanks and pin bones for the at-home Valentine’s supper, which is food fit for a special occasion. I will serve it with polenta or cheese grits, call it what you will. I found the beef shanks in the bottom of the freezer. They looked like not enough for a meal, which is how the pin bones got thrown in with them. Who knows what to do with pin bones? It’s one of those odd cuts you only get if you order half of the steer. As my Doubleday cookbook says, when in doubt, braise. I use a recipe for slow cooker Osso Bucco from Fine Cooking, which is made with veal shanks. I call my version, “Osso Beefo.” It’s delicious.
Slow cooker Osso Beefo
February has already been a long month, and we are only halfway through. We had some warm days, but the only effect seems to have been to make the patches of ice smoother. Terry fell flat on his back Friday. He was very careful going over the glacier in front of the polyhouse when entering. By the time he’d putzed around inside for a few minutes, he forgot to be equally careful upon exit. The tip of the ski pole that was supposed to help him stay upright skittered across the ice and down he went. His neck was awfully sore for 36 hours. He is feeling better today. I tell him there is nothing wrong with a few days of rest.
The snow started in the late morning. The snow plow just went by. It hardly seems like enough snow to plow yet, so perhaps the true purpose was to spread salt. Terry points out that the snowplow drivers have not had nearly enough overtime this winter. Without it, their income is not what they are used to. They’re glad it’s snowing on Sunday because they get to work outside their usual schedule. I’m glad because I don’t have to go anywhere today.
I have noticed lately that one sign of creeping winter depression is a perceived need to bake. I have held back from making bread this weekend. I made brownies yesterday and pancakes for breakfast today. While the later is not truly baking, it falls in the general category of carb loading. At the moment, I would most like to hibernate.
The forecast says it will be in the 60’s by the end of the week. I could use an early spring.

This Tuesday will be the second in the Bioneers Speaker series, which I promised to include in my blog and didn’t until now. Last week’s speaker was excellent, and the next two should be just as good. Here's a link with more information: www.mchenry.edu/bioneers

No comments:

Post a Comment