Monday, May 25, 2015

Bialy Day

Every now and then, I just have to get my hands in some dough. There was an inch and a half of rain in the gauge this morning, and it was still drizzling. It was too soggy to do any garden work. To my mind, that made it a good morning to bake. I wanted to try a recipe from Cook’s Illustrated for bialys (originally bialystoker kuchen), a Polish Jewish yeast bread with an onion filling. The recipe attracted my attention because not only would it satisfy the need to knead, but also because it used three onions! I’ve been in a race against time with last year’s onions for months now.  Anything to use onions.
Bialys on the cooling rack
As yeast breads go, this was a quick one. I started at 8:30 and had bialys ready for lunch at 12:15. I gave two to Mom and Dad (the recipe made 12) and ate one myself. Terry surprised me by having one also. Strange as it may seem, he doesn’t always like homemade bread. Go figure. This one he liked. His comment was, “You could put a myriad of fillings in these.”

Which is true, but I think bacon with the onions would be exceptionally nice, although a complete violation of its Jewish heritage. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment