Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Beautiful Day

It is possible that spring might come after all.

The temperature at 1:30 p.m. today
The glacier on the path to the chicken coop has finally melted. The ground is still frozen, so I expect there will be ice again in the morning. The melt water ain’t going nowhere, as Terry would say.
Ice-free (for the moment) trail to the coop
It was such a warm and sunny afternoon that I invited Hilda to go for a walk. Where the snow wasn’t deep, the melting snow revealed the maze of mouse trails that had been hidden all winter.
Mouse trails, left; human trail, right

I neglected to consider the 4” of snow we got Tuesday morning when I thought about walking. I figured that the trail I had made two weeks ago would be melting down. Not so. It was hard going. Hilda went as far as the creek and turned back.
View of the homestead and our five oaks from back by the creek
It was pretty back by the creek with the shadows of the trees in the snow. The sky was bright blue and completely clear.
Shadows on the snow
I am always amazed at how the sun can heat up objects on top of the snow so much more than the snow itself. Even a bit of light-colored reed canary grass will melt down an inch or more.
Reed canary grass melting in
The whole west side of the property was more of a trudge than a walk. The snow came up over my boots. The south and west sides were clear, making walking a good deal easier. Even though it was more of a workout than I anticipated, it was wonderful be out on a day when the sun felt warm on my face. Finally.
Before I went in the house, I took some portraits of Gracie and Nadia for two of Hilda’s artist friends. In the process, I observed that Gracie has a lot more white on her than Nad does. 
Gracie
Nadia

No comments:

Post a Comment