Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Chicks may safely graze

How fickle the heart is. In spite of my grief over the weekend, I find my chest swelling with joy and delight as I watch the antics of the new chicks. I mentioned in my last post that a few chicks were out of the coop by Saturday night.
Lizette and three Buff Orpingtons were among the first out of the coop

Monday most of them were out and about. They love to explore the vegetation. They alternate between being off on their own pecking at the grass, having little territorial tiffs that are quickly over, and spontaneously running like hell for no apparent reason. Lizette (the white one) seems quite partial to dill.

Lidia, who started out with very dark down, is now tan with black accents. Of our known hens, she and Lizette spend the most time outside. The Buff Orpingtons like to be outside more than the Welsummer.
Lidia

Nadia and Gracie like to hang out by the warmer. Perhaps they will spend more time outside when the weather gets more summer-like. Maybe their little heads get cold under their Mohawks.
Nadia and Gracie by the warmer (the underside of the platform is heated to simulate a mother hen)

Happy birthday to me! Last year I spent my birthday doing not fun things. Terry and I moved Coop 2 into position on the lawn, which was a long and exhausting process, and we moved the broilers and Jackie from the garage to the coop. I also put the drip irrigation on the garden. I mentioned recently how much I dislike that task. At the end of the day I promised myself that this birthday would be FUN.
I have already had a nice gift. It was raining when I got up. This not only provided much needed water for our garden but also got me off the hook for weeding before it was time for our Big Adventure of the day. I have spent a pleasant morning drinking tea and doing not much else.
Jane will be here at 11:00. After an early lunch of shrimp salad graciously provided by my mother, we will all go to Lake Geneva to take a boat tour. I have had this on my list of things to do for close to 30 years. Today is the day. The weather is cool and gray, but the rain has stopped here for the moment. Lake Geneva isn’t too far away, and I hope the rain has stopped there as well. In any case, the boat is not likely to be crowded, and the lower decks are completely enclosed in case it is wet.
After the cruise, we may go up to Northwind Perennial Farm. Jane has heard about it from several people. We have some time to kill before our 5:00 dinner reservations.

Stay tuned for more about my FUN day!

No comments:

Post a Comment