Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Happy Darwin Day!


An interesting coincidence: Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln were both born on February 12, 1809.

My husband and I do not often converse when my alarm goes off at 5:20 a.m. Tuesday morning, however, he looked at the outside temperature (which is projected alternatively with the time on the bedroom ceiling) and said, “Nineteen below zero. I bet it will get to 21 below before it starts to go up.”

I groaned.

He continued, “But this will be the last really cold day this winter.”

“That’s what you said last week,” I said, “but I appreciate your optimism.”

Indeed it was -21.6° when I went out to do the chicken chores. Actually, it wasn’t that bad. There was no wind.

When Terry got up this morning, he said, “Hey! It’s 24° warmer than it was yesterday morning!”

“It’s still only three degrees,” I pointed out. “That’s an order of magnitude less than it should be.”

I am worn out with winter. Gershwin wrote that the living is easy in the summer for a reason. Living is hard in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment