Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Farewell, Jackie

Jackie left for his new home this morning. Before I explain the details, I will relate the story of Jackie’s first encounter with snow. I missed it. I was at work. On the morning when the ground was covered with our first dusting of snow, Hilda opened the chicken door on the coop as usual in the morning. As was his custom, Jackie was among the first to race outside. He got four steps out and stopped dead, looking around as if to say, “What IS this stuff?” And he wouldn't move. Hilda went back in the run to encourage him. Instead of walking or running back to the coop, he hopped. Once in the coop, he didn't come out again. That snow melted before the day was out.
I never was able to get a video of him crowing. I stood by the run for quite some time on Sunday, but he just busied himself with the apple peels I’d thrown in. What I will remember about Jackie’s crow is that it was the same three notes that start the Christmas song, “It’s that time of year when the world falls in love.” Every time I heard him crow, it would stick that song in my head. It wouldn't have been a problem if I liked the song better.
Jackie last Sunday, not crowing

When Jackie showed signs of aggression, we started making inquiries to persons who had roosters. I asked Kate to ask a friend of hers if she would take them It turned out that her most recent batch of “straight run” chicks, now reaching maturity, included four roosters, and that was enough. Also, she had recently suffered losses from a mink in the coop. Since the mink had not yet been apprehended or excluded, she was reluctant to take charge of Jackie.
Hilda then asked the guy who does our butchering. He said he’d try him with the flock, but if he didn't work out, it was into the stew pot for Jackie. Meanwhile, Kate continued her search, asking her sister Kim if she had any middle school students who might want a Polish crested rooster. Kim teaches in a rural area of Wisconsin and has several students who are active in 4-H. One of her students was very excited about getting Jackie. She had a Polish crested hen that she wanted to breed! Hilda was hesitant at first about reneging on her promise to the butcher, but the more she thought about it, the more it seemed like the second offer was the perfect place for Jackie.
We arranged that Kate would stop by to pick up Jackie on her way to Oshkosh for Thanksgiving. She would be at our house at 10:30 in order to get to Kim’s school in plenty of time to make the exchange. My first thought was to put Jackie in Della’s cat carrier and cover it with a blanket to keep Jackie in the dark and thus more calm. Then I thought it might be better to put the carrier in a large plastic bin for extra darkness and to protect Kate’s car from chicken poop. Finally, I hit on the ultimate plan. I had an extra worm bin, which is nothing more than a plastic storage bin with holes drilled in the lid and around the top of the sides. I could put Jackie in there, tape the lid on, and just give the whole thing to his new owner.
I was apprehensive about catching Jackie. I thought I’d better leave the coop shut even though the ground was still covered with an inch of snow that fell two days ago, and Jackie had not been observed out of the coop since. I gave myself 30 minutes and recruited Terry to man the lid. Jackie was a perfect angel this morning. Of course. It can never be a complete relief to get rid of an animal. He was standing calmly on the perch, trying to keep his feet warm.  He didn't even fuss when I picked him up and put him in the bin. Terry put on the lid and helped me cut two lengths of Gorilla tape to secure the sides. Easy peasy.
Jackie stands on his right leg while warming his left foot. He seems to be getting bits of gold at the edges of his ruff.
Jackie's final portrait at Five Oaks


Kate arrived at 10:15. We put Jackie in the back of her car and waved goodbye as she drove away. I hope he likes his new girlfriend. He will certainly have to get used to snow.
Jackie in the blue bin to the right with the black tape. Kate's cat Gracie in in the blanket-covered carrier behind and to the left of Jackie.
And off he goes on a cold and wintry morning

No comments:

Post a Comment